Friday, July 9, 2010

Miskatonic Australian Expedition Photos

The new run of Miskatonic Australian expedition gear based on Lovecraft's "The Shadow Out of Time" goes on sale tomorrow, but I have a pair of retouched photos for you today. Just click through for the high resolution versions and then run off copies using a photo printer or commercial photo kiosk.



Prof. Ashley of Miskatonic with one of the first stones uncovered by the expedition.



The S.S. Lexington being towed into Port Hedland by a harbor tug. From here the expedition would travel overland to the De Grey river, where a chartered steamer with a shallow draw would take them to the edge of the interior desert.

Update: RXGrafix did an awesome take on the Prof. Ashley photo. I shied away from aging it too much because I wanted to keep it generic, but they just nailed it.

4 comments:

Lazarus Lupin said...

that's just wonderful. Did you tweak the contrast any to make it look as grainy?

Lazarus Lupin
http://strangespanner.blogspot.com/
art and review

Propnomicon said...

@ Lazarus Lupin

The only things I adjusted contrast on were the retouches. I'm getting better, but I'm still nowhere near the level of a truly skilled retoucher. The one bit of advice I'd give anyone retouching vintage photos is to never work on the original scan- always blow it up at least 200%. All kinds of artifacts vanish when you shrink it down again.

Anonymous said...

i tried to improve some of your image.
you are free to use it.
http://rxgrafix.com/archives/australia4.jpg
; )

Propnomicon said...

@Anonymous

That is an awesome job. I shied away from weathering it too much because I wanted something generic, but your version is simply outstanding.